Club History

Richmond Park Golf Club was formed in the Spring of 1924 by a group of enthusiasts who had commenced to play on the newly opened public golf courses in Richmond Park. Mr. J. Hume, Mrs. Millidge, Mr. H. Lissaman, Mr. E. Bailey and Mr. Josh Taylor were amongst the founder members.

The involvement of JH Taylor in the founding of the Richmond Park Golf Courses is commemorated on this plaque which resides at the Club room.

Click on the image to enlarge

The name of the Club was altered from The Priory Golf Club to its present title in 1953.

The standard of play pre-war was very high, and our teams did particularly well in the National Competitions. The National Association of Public Golf Courses Championships have in the past been won by several members.

In 1988 Miss H. Skinner became the Ladies Champion of England. Miss A. Barton followed with the same success in 1989.

The N.A.P.G.C. Mixed Foursomes Team Event for the Hawtree Trophy was won by the Club in 1957 for the first time. We were Southern Zone winners and National Runners-up in 1981 and 1989 and National Winners in 1982.

In 1971, 1972, 1978 and 1985 our ladies won the team trophy at the N.A.P.G.C. Ladies Championships (inaugurated in 1967).

In addition to the six events organised for us by the N.A.P.G.C., the Club is now annually engaged in inter-club Trophy meetings against Centurion Golf Club, Mitcham Golf Club, Putney Park Golf Club, Rickmansworth Golf Club, Ruskie Hall Golf Club, White Lodge Golf Club and the Airlinks Golf Club.

The aims of the Club remain the same: to bring all our members together in competitive golf and social functions, in as pleasant and friendly an atmosphere as possible, to promote the highest possible standard of play and further the reputation of the Club. It is hoped that all new members will join us in the pursuit of these ideals.